Consultants and Diagnosticians


Before you start to look for autism consultants and diagnosticians, ask yourself some questions so that you can find the right people.

Questions to ask yourself if you are looking for an autism diagnosis

Is this diagnosis for a child or an adult?
If the diagnosis is for a child you will most likely be referred to a diagnostic centre by the paediatrician. If the diagnosis is for an adult, your first port of call is the GP. Read more here.

Have you been told by the GP or the paediatrician to find your own diagnostic centre?
If you have been told to find your own diagnostic centre, be sure to ask who they will accept a diagnosis from. The diagnosis of some private autism diagnosticians is not always accepted by all local authority or NHS services.

Will the diagnostic centre use more than one professional for the diagnosis?
According to NICE guidelines for the diagnosis of autism, the diagnosis for children has to be carried out by a multi-disciplinary team. For NICE Guidelines for children click here. For NICE Guidelines for adults click here.

Questions to ask yourself if you are looking for an autism consultant

What do you need from the autism consultant?
Be specific when explaining what you need from them.

What outcomes do you expect?
Be honest about your expectations with them.

Do you need the consultant for a specific piece of work, or for ongoing support?
Find out how much they charge and whether they provide on-going support.

Are you looking for a specialist in the field, such as a Speech and Language Therapist, Occupational Therapist or Educational Psychologist?
If you are looking for specific support, then you could contact the accrediting body for that profession.